Saturday, April 12, 2014

Undici 11

Another restaurant review, because why not? :D

Tonight, we went to Undici, an Italian restaurant in Rumson, NJ. It's one of my favorites, and their food is spot-on. Being that it's Restaurant Week, I had to go. 

Restaurant Week features pre-priced three-course meal, usually with 3-4 choices for each course, appetizer, main course, and dinner. Therefore, I was only naturally pleased when Undici presented 6 choices for appetizer and entree. Good Impression #1. 

I decided on a pizzetta (a tiny pizza), pork chop, and chocolate tart. So healthy... :P Surprisingly enough, out of all of the times I've been here over the years, I've never ordered pizza. Never ordered pizza at an Italian restaurant??? BLASPHEMY. That drought was ended today. The pizzetta was very simple, with only mozzerella cheese and roasted peppers. However, its simplicity only made it more enjoyable. The cheese was creamy and fragrant, while the peppers were soft and flavorful, but not burnt. There wasn't a lot of tomato sauce, which was a relief. Too much sauce ends up in the pizza being overwhelmed. The best part, however, was the crust, which was light, crispy, and fluffy. That pizza was better than the one that I had in Naples! Good Impression #2. 

Main course was a Berkshire pork chop. The chop was substantially smaller and thinner than the chop on the usual menu, but no less delicious. It was garnished with olive oil and roasted peppers, another example of delicious simplicity. The meat itself wasn't the most juicy, but it was certainly one of the most tender. The meal was spicy, as some of the roasted peppers were not the usual sweet ones. That actually enhanced the dish, cutting through the fat of the chop. During the course, I was deceived by the dish. Rather than nibbling the pepper (because that would be the smart thing to do), I ate a whole piece of pepper. I figured that the red peppers were just bell peppers, right? WRONG. Instead, the flow of spicy juices filled my mouth, along with a bad word. Later, my dad was also deceived when he ate a bean in his dish. The said "bean" ended up being a clove of garlic. Shortly after that, my mom tried to nibble on the bone of my chop, only to have her shirt squirted by juice. Karma. All the same, the dishes were very satisfying. Good Impression #3. 


That's a picture of dessert. The bottom left is a chocolate tart with a polenta crust and vanilla gelato. On the right of that is a pear tart with a dollop of whipped cream. Above that is a cappuccino, which is next to the biscotties with cannoli cream. On the other side of the biscotties is a cup of coffee. The pear cake was light and fruit, and the whipped cream was not very sweet. I didn't have the biscotties, but the cannoli cream was also not too sweet. I ordered the chocolate tart, which was definitely my favorite. The chocolate was bittersweet, and the polenta crust was crispy and light. The vanilla gelato was creamy and cold, accompanying the tart very nicely. I almost always get a cappuccino, which is well-brewed and never burnt. I'm always SUPER careful with cappuccinos. I'm terrified that I'll burn my tongue. Usually, I end up burning it anyway. -_- Overall, dessert was a success. Good Impression #4. 

If you have time, you should definitely check out Undici. It's one of the best Italian restaurants around!!! :D So the night ends now, with my writing another blog post. (Actually, dinner was at 4:45, so it's not really night yet.) Until next time, this is Rachel Ma, and, in the wise words of Alton Brown, I bid you good eating.

Song I'm humming tonight: Let It Go from "Frozen" (probably because of seeing the movie yesterday... :P)

No comments:

Post a Comment