Sunday, April 6, 2014

Drew's Bayshore Bistro

Slice of Life may be over, but that doesn't mean that I can't keep blogging! From time to time, I'll be posting some restaurant reviews wherever I'm eating. :D 

Tonight, we dined at Drew's Bayshore Bistro, a small restaurant in Keyport. Most of their food is Cajun, and it's definitely worth your time. I've been here multiple times before, and it's never disappointed. For appetizer, I highly recommend the voodoo shrimp. This is the same dish that beat out celebrity chef Bobby Flay in Flay's throw down show! The shrimp is tender, and the sauce is spicy and creamy. The sauce soaks a piece of cornbread, which seeps a bit of sweetness into the sauce. For entree, the jambalaya or crayfish étouffée are delicious. I'll start with the crayfish. Crayfish tails are kind of like a cross between tiny shrimp and very tiny lobster tails. When tossed with brown gravy and rice, you get a delightful étouffée. The dish is a little bland for my liking, but it's still enjoyable. The jambalaya, however, is the star of the joint. Before I say anything else, let me warn you that it is SPICY. CONSIDER YOURSELF WARNED. My mom and I both have pretty high spice tolerances, but even we were tearing up after just a few bites. The dish is garnished with sausage, vegetables, and chicken, and the sauce is finished with some tomato to give it a little bit of a sour taste. The jambalaya is absolutely amazing, though if you have a low spice tolerance, don't go for it. The description for the dish literally tells you not to cry. For dessert, we ordered a coconut trifle, which consists of Devil's food cake, coconut cream, whipped cream, and toasted coconut. Sounds healthy, right? XD Maybe not, but it is definitely a very nicely presented dish.

Isn't it pretty? :D 

Despite all of that cream, the dessert was surprisingly light and airy. It wasn't very sweet, so there wasn't an obnoxious sugary heaviness stuck in the pit of my stomach. My only complaint was that there were two layers of whipped cream, one at the very bottom and one on top. Instead of so much cream, I would have preferred a scoop of vanilla ice cream, something cold to cut through the dessert's creaminess. 

I'm literally sitting in the restaurant as a write this post. The environment is casual and reasonably noisy. The lights are dim, and there is soft music in the background. It's one of my favorite restaurants. :D So the night ends now, with me writing yet another blog post. Until next time, this is Rachel Ma, and, in the words of Alton Brown, I bid you good eating. 

Song I'm humming tonight: Safe and Sound by Capital Cities

No comments:

Post a Comment