Saturday, March 1, 2014

Day 1: Just Starting

The night started in Belmar. Somehow, I ended up in a beach town in winter, right before a massive snowstorm. What are the chances, right? Anyway, my family, my friend, Gabby, her family, and I were going out to dinner. Ragin' Cajun, a Cajun restaurant in a small run-down house. If I just passed it on the road, I never would have noticed it. Yet, here I was, tempted by the scents and aromas coming from the kitchen. Jambalaya and étouffée were just waiting for me.

The place was tiny, but the taste was giant. I decided on the "Swamp Daddy Pasta, a dish made of bow tie pasta, mushrooms, artichoke hearts, shrimp, and sausage tossed in a spicy, creamy sauce. Like classic, Cajun cuisine, it was spicy, savory, and absolutely amazing. I love spicy food, so it's perfect. As we talked and laughed the night away, it ended with more than just dinner. It became a night with a conversation that was probably spicier than the food itself.


That night turned into a mini movie marathon of films that would have otherwise been ignored. It started with the Hunchback of Notre Dame, the Classic Disney animated film about the deformed Quasimodo who has been locked in the Notre Dame cathedral by the evil Frollo. I haven't seen it in ages, but it was a nice wave of nostalgia to the good old days. Quasimodo is a hero unlike most others; he is not a classic knight in shining armor. Instead, his armor is his heart, kind and true. When he saves and falls in love with beautiful Gypsy girl Esmeralda, everything that Frollo taught him is turned upside down, and he learns the true difference between man and monster. I must say that as much as Frollo is awful and horrid, he is one pretty epic villain. He also has a killer song. Hellfire is probably a close second to The Lion King's Be Prepared. Then again, nothing beats Be Prepared. The night ended with Geek Charming, a tale of a diva queen and film geek who work together to make a movie, and it becomes pretty crazy. It starts off as a cliche, silly film, with the girl as irritating as ever. Soon, though, it turns into a cute movie that was actually quite enjoyable.


So the night ends now, with me writing this blog post. If you're interested in the restaurant listed above, check the link here. Until next time, this is Rachel Ma, and, in the words of Alton Brown, I bid you good eating.


Song I'm humming tonight: If My Heart Was a House by Owl City ^.^

4 comments:

  1. Wow, now I am starving! Thanks for telling me about the restaurant. I bet they would like to read your positive review. :)

    -Mrs. Gross

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! I was in Belmar yesterday too! If you want to hear the whole story you can read it here: http://theweirdtherandomtheunique.blogspot.com/2014/03/slice-of-life-day-2-belmar-saint.html. My French class last year went on a field trip to Ragin' Cajun. I didn’t go because I can’t stand spicy food, but I heard it was really good. The food there must be delicious because the class goes there every year. (This class, it turns out, is taught by a guy who used to teach French at High Tech. I was informed of this on Friday.) It is funny how you chose the night of Belmar’s biggest parade of the year to go out to dinner in the small town, but I am glad you enjoyed your dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I looovvee spicy food, and will DEFINATELY be checking this restaraunt out. thanks for the recommendation! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rachel you stole my idea from Kidblog! Jk, love this blog, good job!

    ReplyDelete