Monday, March 24, 2014

Day 24: Lucky Charms and Marshmallows

"They're magically delicious!" That is the slogan for Lucky Charms, one of General Mill's most popular cereals. It's the cereal with the little freeze-dried marshmallows that we used to pick out from the rest of the grains. Lucky Charms has those tiny sugary treats in them, which makes the cereal that much more appealing to little kids. Today, when I was volunteering at my district's elementary school Aftercare program, the kids were given their daily after-school snack; today's snack was Lucky Charms. Throughout the "snack time", the kids separated the marshmallows from the rest of the cereal to eat later. They each had their own little cup of marshmallows, which they would compare among themselves, resulting in the occasional, "Lucky! You have so many more than me!"

MARSHMALLOWS!!!!!! :D

I remember when I was little and had Lucky Charms in the morning. I was never a fan of the marshmallows. I mean, yeah, they tasted good, but I never picked them out of the box. If anything, I grew to enjoy them more later. When I got older and went to CTY, I would have a bowl of cereal in the morning, and mix Cheerios and Lucky Charms. Cheerios alone were too bland, but Lucky Charms alone would give me a sugar rush. So why not the best of both worlds? Sometimes I wonder if I appreciated all of my "little kid experiences" more once I got older and got to relive them. Is that just me? 
Anyway, I probably shouldn't stray too far off topic. If I continue with that, it's just going to be a nostalgic rant that will end up boring you to death. Lucky Charms, however, are still very enjoyable. It's fun to be able to enjoy the sweet little marshmallows with the crunchy cereal grains and just savor a moment of childhood memory again. So the night ends now, with me writing yet another blog post. Until next time, this is Rachel Ma, and, in the words of Alton Brown, I bid you good eating.

Song I'm humming tonight: Best Friend by Jason Chen

No comments:

Post a Comment