Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Day 19: Brunch? Nah, Lunch

It's Wednesday again, which means...

NY TIMES DINING!

This week, I saw an interesting article about brunch, which can be found here. What exactly is brunch? To be honest, it's that awkward meal that you eat because it's too late for breakfast but too early for lunch. I agree with the author; brunch is a pretty pointless meal. If it's that awkward time of day, just have lunch. Better yet, have this lunch. The meal in the piece is what really caught my attention. It looks absolutely delicious. Sadly, some recipes will have to be altered for young adults, but I'm sure it'll taste just as great. For appetizer, a citrus salad drizzled with prosecco to cleanse the palate. In our case, prosecco, the sparkling Italian wine, is out of the question. I have yet to think of a replacement, but whatever you choose to use, make sure it's crisp and refreshing. For main course, spicy crab linguine with mustard, creme fraiche, and herbs. This sounds like a take on Alfredo sauce, except definitely more classy. To finish it off, a frozen espresso zabaglione, similar to gelato. A simple dessert to finish a simple but scrumptious meal.

There was also an article about a fried chicken restaurant in Brooklyn that puts a little more spice than usual on the crust. And by a little bit, I mean A LOT. I'm a huge fan of spicy food, but this makes me cringe a little just by reading it. First, the crispy, oily skin. Then, the slight sweetness in the spice mixture. Then, the heat. A searing, pungent blazing heat that makes you cry a little. According the article itself, as read here, "Drink your beer. Wipe your nose. And start all over again." The trick to the spice? Ghost chilis, one of the hottest chilies in the whole world. It can reach as high as one million on the Scoville scale! Part of me wants to go to try this place, part of me is screaming, "SAVE YOURSELF WHILE YOU CAN!" I guess we'll see how brave I really am eventually.

How brave are you? Will you go try that hot chicken house, or will you be the chicken and stick with the fresh spring lunch? I think I'll stick with being the chicken on this one. On that note, the night ends now, with me writing yet another blog post. Until next time, this is Rachel Ma, and, in the words of Alton Brown, I bid you good eating.

Song I'm humming tonight: Girl on Fire by Alicia Keys

No comments:

Post a Comment