Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Day 12: NY Times Dining

Every Wednesday, I'm excited to read the New York Times. Not that the newspaper isn't interesting the other days, but Wednesdays feature my favorite section: DINING. The Dining Section is all about food; it features restaurants, recipes, and the latest in Foodie World.
One article really caught my attention today. I love Japanese food, and I found a review for a sashimi bar in Park Slope, Brooklyn called Sushi Katsuei. You can read the article here. The article talks about the expertise of the chefs there. Everything is to perfection, and the chefs work with so much dedication, they even gently reprimand customers when customers put their food on the side to talk. Warm food is not allowed to go cold. For example, cooling tea is replaced quickly by a fresh hot cup. If that isn't commitment, I don't know what is. The presentation looks simple but beautiful, but presentation should come as no surprise. Have you seen Morimoto on Iron Chef America? STUNNING PLATING. The freshness of the seafood and preparation is supposedly good, though I guess we won't know unless we go. One more restaurant on my list of places to try but will probably never get a chance to.
Another interesting article was the one on Irish cooking. IRish cuisine is not one that is heard of often, so it caught my eye. I was curious to see what kind of food is so distinctive to the area, and I found one recipe that was particularly tempting. Whole Arctic char with spinach butter. I love whole fish since it captures the entire fish rather than just one small portion of it. It sounds like something that people in Ireland would eat, so I'd love to try it! The recipe is here.
So the night ends now, with me writing yet another blog post. Until next time, this is Rachel Ma, and, in the words of Alton Brown, I bid you good eating.
.

Song I'm humming tonight: Skyfall by Adele

2 comments:

  1. Hey Rachel! I love your blog; 1) it's about food and 2) the fish thing at the top is so cool I legit played with it for about 10 minutes (don't judge). Anyways, Japanese cuisine (and pretty much most Asian foods) is really one of my favorites. I mean, who can turn down sushi or ramen? I'm so glad your watch food network too so we can fangirl over it from time to time. :) Chef Morimoto is definitely my favorite-- like holy cow, how does he come up with so many creative recipes yet still keep a distinctive Asian style in it? I really like Chef Zakarian too since he's the newest Iron Chef (even though he's terrible at judging).
    Also, nice song choice. :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. I visited Ireland a few times over the past few years and I have to tell you, I was shocked by how good the food was! The article in this week's Dining Section also fascinated me!

    ReplyDelete