Friday, March 28, 2014

Day 28: Frozen Coffee Treat

Today, I discovered a wondrous new dessert option. It seems so obvious, but it never occurred to me to try it. A couple of days ago, my mom bought hazelnut-flavored ice cream. My mom got me hooked onto hazelnut coffee in the fall, so naturally, I had to try to mix coffee ice cream and hazelnut ice cream. What resulted was an amazing mixture of sweet and creamy.
I love how the slight smokiness from the roasted hazelnut countered the bitterness of the espresso, while the sugar balanced all of that out. The ice cream was smooth, lightly sticking to my tongue. The dessert was frozen, and it wasn't warm outside, but I didn't care. I was thoroughly satisfied. I reminded me of affogato, an Italian dessert in which a ball of ice cream is dunked into strong espresso coffee. Since the coffee ice cream was not particularly sweet compared to most variations, it resembled actual espresso coffee nicely. The ice cream was flavored with hazelnut, so it was essentially a frozen version of a hazelnut coffee.

Yum!

If you ever get a chance, give affogato a try! Just take a scoop of ice cream and pour some coffee over it. It's just a fancy name for a coffee float, but it tastes so good! Or, if you'd prefer, pour hot chocolate over the ice cream! :D So the night ends now, with me writing yet another blog post. Until next time, this is Rachel Ma, and, in the words of Alton Brown, I bid you good eating.

Song I'm humming tonight: Hasta El Fin by Motel

1 comment:

  1. That looks amazing! I might actually make this tonight...

    ReplyDelete