Thursday, March 27, 2014

Day 27: Being Emotional

Today, I learned a very valuable lesson. I used to think that hiding your emotions was a good thing. It meant that you were strong, not weak and unstable. Turns out, it's the exact opposite. Hiding your emotions makes you seem like a weird robot person who has no feelings. I've learned that the hard way, and now, I finally seem to understand what it really means to be strong. Being strong can mean feeling weak sometimes. It's not always going to be sunshines and rainbows and unicorns. The matter of "being strong" is how you react to when it's sad and gloomy. If you really are tough, you know when to act a certain way. You know that if it gets dark, it's okay to show it. It's okay to tell people what's wrong and vent about your problems.
All my life, I've been told that I should take what life hits me with. I've been told to "be tough". The thing is, I didn't understand what that meant. I thought I did, but I really didn't. I had a crazy notion that being tough meant to brave everything alone. In fact, it meant quite the contrary. There are always people out there who care. There are always people who are willing to listen and help you. You're never alone. Never truly.
Today's post had nothing to do with food, but I really don't care. I've learned something so valuable today, and I know that I won't ever forget it. I guess no homework ends up with a lot of thinking time. So the night ends now, with me writing yet another blog post. Until next time, this is Rachel Ma, and, in the words of Alton Brown, I bid you good eating.

Song I'm humming tonight: About a Girl by The Academy

4 comments:

  1. Whoo. What a bizarre, abstract topic here. There is a recent notion that people have been getting to indeed "show your emotions more", but I'm not so sure if you can even control what emotions you exhibit or not. I figure everybody shows an equal level of emotion, but some people exhibit it in a way in which only a few other individuals can interpret it. In this way, more calm, controlled people aren't necessarily trying to stay strong- they just show it in a subtle way that only other calm, controlled people can mostly see.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whenever life throws crap at me I listen to the Despicable Me theme song by Pharrell Williams.
    "I'm having a bad bad day
    It's about time that I get my way
    Steamrolling whatever I see
    Oh, despicable me.
    I'm having a bad bad day
    If you take it personal that's okay
    Watch, this is so fun to see
    Oh, despicable me."

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just thought of this when you said at the end "in the words of Alton Brown..." and I remembered when I was younger and my mom was watching the show, he was talking about Bloody Marys. And not just the drink. He went over the whole background information about it and I got so freaked out that I didn't like watching his show after that.

    ReplyDelete