Saturday, March 8, 2014

Day 8: NYC!!!!!!!

Finally! Back to food! Today was a trip to New York City, a second home for foodies! It started with a walk throughout SoHo, where we shopped in small boutique stores (mostly window shopping, of course) and wandered into tiny bakeries. It was mostly just fun, not actual spending. After all, some of those stores are crazily expensive! :)
Many of the stores in the area were locally owned and simple, not the usual designer brands that we see in malls and 5th Avenue. One bakery was Balthazar, a tiny French bakery famous for bread. The store was so crowded, all of the customers could hardly fit! Pastries and cookies lined up on the shelves, along with loaves and loaves of different breads. Though sampling everything was tempting, we decided on a raspbery tart, brioche loaf, chocolate and almond cake, and cannole (not to be confused with cannoli).
We came across Bisous Ciao Macaroons, a shop with nothing but a single counter containing a variety of colored macaroons spanning across like a rainbow. Not wanting to go too overboard at once, I only bought three flavors: chestnut, dark chocolate, and espresso. I have yet to try them, but if the delicacies are as tasty as they are beautiful, then they will be a treat.
Meandering on the streets was very time-consuming, so it was only a few hours before dinner at Cafe Espanol, a Spanish restaurant that never seems to fail to deliver. On the way, we passed The Magnolia Bakery, a minuscule shop with a line winding around the corner. We didn't have time to wait, but I knew that it was on the list of places to try. Amy's Bakery was also along the way, which had a band of about 8 people singing and playing in front of it. I don't remember much of it, but I do remember the men singing, "Get ready, get ready!" I laughed to myself. I would certainly get ready for the amazing meal ahead.
Finally, dinner time came. The restaurant was narrow, but very welcoming. I remembered my first time there over the summer. I remembered meeting Christine Choy, an teacher in the cinema arts part of NYU and Oscar nominee. That was probably the closest I ever got to any form of stardom. Anyway, back to the restaurant. Cafe Espanol offered unsurpassed seafood, mostly in the form of octopus and squid. We ordered pulpo a la plancha (grilled octopus), pulpo a la gallega (octupus with olive oil and paprika), jamon (Spanish ham aged for 12 months), fried artichokes, squid in its own ink, and the authentic Spanish seafood rice, paella. Ordering it in Spanish was fun, though I'm pretty sure the waiters laughed at my pronunciation more than a few times. :) I must say that of these dishes, I was most impressed with the paella and the pulpo a la plancha. The rice was soaked with seafood flavor, bringing out an enjoyable, savory brininess. The octopus was tender, though not mushy, and laced with flavors of olive oil, chili flakes, and strong garlic. Once again, I was mesmerized. I felt guilty when one waiter offered us desserts on a platter and went through a fancy routine, only to be rejected. However, I was just too full and satisfied.
All of the places above are recommended to anyone who loves food! Next time you travel to NYC, check them out! I'll have links below. So the night ends now, with me writing yet another blog post. Until next time, this is Rachel Ma, and, in the words of Alton Brown, I bid you good eating.

Song I'm humming tonight: Put Your Records On by Corinne Bailey Rae

Links:

  • Balthazar- http://www.balthazarny.com/
  • Bisous Ciao Macaroons- https://www.bisousciao.com/home/
  • The Magnolia Bakery- http://www.magnoliabakery.com/
  • Amy's Bakery- http://www.amysbread.com/
  • Cafe Espanol- http://cafeespanol.com/

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you had an awesome trip! My sister lives in Battery Park so whenever we visit, we go to SoHo. We're going to see Cinderella on Broadway with Carly Rae Jepsen and Fran Drescher in two weeks! I'm definitely going to be blogging about that. :P

    ReplyDelete