Thursday, March 20, 2014

Day 20: Sweet vs. Salty

Yay! Two-thirds of the way through Slice of Life! Last leg!

With every culinary fanatic comes the age-old dispute: sugar or salt? Would you rather have a piece of cake for a snack or a bag of chips? Everyone has his/her personal preference!

I know plenty of people who have an incredible sweet tooth. Chocolate, candy, cookies, pastries, basically anything that contains sugar. They would take dessert any day because it's too hard to turn down sugary. I can't say that I blame them; a candied treat once in a while can be very satisfying. However, I must confess that salt appeals to me much more. I'll eat candy or cookies, no problem. But pit that against a bag of chips or a popcorn at a movie theater, and I'll dive for the latter in an instant. 
Salt is much more delicious than sugar. At least it is in my opinion. You can easily have a full meal with savory food. Something about salty foods just appeals to me rather than sugar, which made me a very strange child. When the doctor offered lollipops after a visit, I never took one. Halloween was candy collection, but I never ate what I got. Candy prizes were never a motivation, as it so often was with others. My parents always told me that they never had to force-feed me vegetables when I was little, which was convenient. On the flip side of the coin though, they could never threaten me with taking away dessert... :P 
So what's your take on this? Comment below with your answers, and we'll see which one is the real champion! In the meantime, the night ends now, with me writing yet another blog post. Until next time, this is Rachel Ma, and, in the words of Alton Brown, I bid you good eating.

Song I'm humming tonight: Demons by Imagine Dragons


1 comment:

  1. I have a serious internal struggle between sweet and salty. Like yesterday, I ate 9 Three Musketeers in a row, even though I don't even like them. I just really wanted to eat chocolate. But then afterwards, I ate some straight-up salt because it was too sweet. (Salt by itself is weird though.)

    Also, how do you decide what kind of crepe to get? Do I order a chocolate crepe with nutella and strawberries and whipped cream and all that? Or do I get some sort of bacon and eggs crepe? SO MANY DECISIONS. (I chose the second one.)

    By the way, I love the daily puppy thing at the bottom.

    ReplyDelete